Pinocchio, Chapter 25 : Advice from the Good Fairy匹诺曹,第25章:来自善良仙女的忠告
If Pinocchio cried much longer, the little woman thought he would melt away, so she finally admitted that she was the little Fairy with Azure Hair.
好心的小妇人起先说她不是那位天蓝色头发的小仙女。可后来看到识破了,也不想再把这场喜剧继续演下去,终于承认她就是小仙女,她对匹诺曹说:
“You rascal of a Marionette! How did you know it was I?” she asked, laughing.
“你这木头小鬼!你怎么认出是我的?”
“My love for you told me who you were.”
“我热爱您,就认出是您了。”
“Do you remember? You left me when I was a little girl and now you find me a grown woman. I am so old, I could almost be your mother!”
“你记得吗?你扔下我的时候,我还是个小姑娘,可你现在碰到我,我已经是个妇人了。我简直可以做你的妈妈了,”
“I am very glad of that, for then I can call you mother instead of sister. For a long time I have wanted a mother, just like other boys. But how did you grow so quickly?”
“那我太高兴了,这样我就不是叫您姐姐,而要叫您妈妈了。多少日子以来,我一直想跟所有的孩子那样有个妈妈!……可您怎么会长得这样快的?”
“That’s a secret!”
“这是一个秘密。”
“Tell it to me. I also want to grow a little. Look at me! I have never grown higher than a penny’s worth of cheese.”
“告诉我吧。我也想长大一点。您没看到吗?我还是跟一个子儿的干酪那么高。”
“But you can’t grow,” answered the Fairy.
“可你不会长大。”仙女回答说。
“Why not?”
“为什么?”
“Because Marionettes never grow. They are born Marionettes, they live Marionettes, and they die Marionettes.”
“因为木偶是从来不长大的。他们生下来是木偶,活着是木偶,死了也是木偶。”
“Oh, I’m tired of always being a Marionette!” cried Pinocchio disgustedly. “It’s about time for me to grow into a man as everyone else does.”
“噢!我老做木偶都做腻了!”匹诺曹拍着后脑勺大叫着说,“我现在要变人,跟所有人一样的人。”
“And you will if you deserve it–”
“你会变人的,如果你配得上变人的话……”
“Really? What can I do to deserve it?”
“真的吗?怎么办才配得上呢?”
“It’s a very simple matter. Try to act like a well-behaved child.”
“容易极了,只要你一直做个好孩子。”
“Don’t you think I do?”
“噢,我不是个好孩子吗?”
“Far from it! Good boys are obedient, and you, on the contrary–”
“根本不是!好孩子听话,可你正好相反……”
“And I never obey.”
“我从来不听话。”
“Good boys love study and work, but you–”
“好孩子爱读书爱干活,可你……”
“And I, on the contrary, am a lazy fellow and a tramp all year round.”
“正好相反,我一年到头偷懒,吊儿郎当。”
“Good boys always tell the truth.”
“好孩子向来说真话……”
“And I always tell lies.”
“可我向来说假话。”
“Good boys go gladly to school.”
“好孩子高高兴兴去上学……”
“And I get sick if I go to school. From now on I’ll be different.”
“可学校叫我肚子疼。不过从今以后,我要改变我的生活。”
“Do you promise?”
“你答应我这样做吗?”
“I promise. I want to become a good boy and be a comfort to my father. Where is my poor father now?”
“我答应你这样做。我要变成一个好孩子,我还要成为我爸爸的安慰……这会儿我可怜的爸爸在哪儿呢?”
“I do not know.”
“我不知道。”
“Will I ever be lucky enough to find him and embrace him once more?”
“我还能看见他和拥抱他吗,我有这份福气吗?”
“I think so. Indeed, I am sure of it.”
“我相信你有,而且我保证。”
At this answer, Pinocchio’s happiness was very great. He grasped the Fairy’s hands and kissed them so hard that it looked as if he had lost his head. Then lifting his face, he looked at her lovingly and asked: “Tell me, little Mother, it isn’t true that you are dead, is it?”
匹诺曹听了这个回答,高兴得抓住仙女的手发疯似地吻起来。接着他抬起头,亲热地看着仙女问道:“告诉我,好妈妈,你不是真死了吧?”
“It doesn’t seem so,” answered the Fairy, smiling.
“好像不是,”仙女微笑着回答。
“If you only knew how I suffered and how I wept when I read ‘Here lies–‘”
“你知道我当时多么伤心,觉得喉咙都堵住了,一个字一个字地读:‘这里安眠着……’”
“I know it, and for that I have forgiven you. The depth of your sorrow made me see that you have a kind heart. There is always hope for boys with hearts such as yours, though they may often be very mischievous. This is the reason why I have come so far to look for you. From now on, I’ll be your own little mother.”
“我知道,因此我就原谅你了。你的伤心是真诚的,这使我知道,你有一顾善良的心。一个孩子有颗善良的心,即使有点顽皮,有些不好的习惯,总还是有希望,就是说,总是可以希望他重新走上正路的,因此我跟到这儿来找你。我要做你的妈妈……”
“Oh! How lovely!” cried Pinocchio, jumping with joy.
“噢!多美啊!”匹诺曹大叫,高兴得跳起来。
“You will obey me always and do as I wish?”
“你要听我的话,永远照我对你说的话去做。”
“Gladly, very gladly, more than gladly!”
“我愿意,我愿意,我愿意!”
“Beginning tomorrow,” said the Fairy, “you’ll go to school every day.”
“从明天开始,”仙女往下说,“你就去上学。”
Pinocchio’s face fell a little.
匹诺曹马上不那么高兴了。
“Then you will choose the trade you like best.”
“然后选择一种你喜欢的手艺或者工作……”
Pinocchio became more serious.
匹诺曹脸都板起来了。
“What are you mumbling to yourself?” asked the Fairy.
“你牙齿缝里咕噜些什么,”仙女用不高兴的口气问他。
“I was just saying,” whined the Marionette in a whisper, “that it seems too late for me to go to school now.”
“我说的是……”木偶低声叽叽叫着说,“现在才去上学,好像晚了点……”
“No, indeed. Remember it is never too late to learn.”
“一点也不晚,我的宝贝。你记住了,读书学习是永远不会晚的。”
“But I don’t want either trade or profession.”
“可我不想干手艺或工作什么的……”
“Why?”
“为什么?”
“Because work wearies me!”
“因为我觉得干活太累。”
“My dear boy,” said the Fairy, “people who speak as you do usually end their days either in a prison or in a hospital. A man, remember, whether rich or poor, should do something in this world. No one can find happiness without work. Woe betide the lazy fellow! Laziness is a serious illness and one must cure it immediately; yes, even from early childhood. If not, it will kill you in the end.”
“我的孩子,”仙女说,“说这种话的人,最后差不多不是进监狱就是进医院。告诉我,一个人不管生下来是穷是富,在这个世界上都得做点事,干上一行,都要劳动。懒惰没有好结果!懒惰是一种最坏的毛病,必须马上从小治好。要不,大了就再也治不好了!”
These words touched Pinocchio’s heart. He lifted his eyes to his Fairy and said seriously: “I’ll work; I’ll study; I’ll do all you tell me. After all, the life of a Marionette has grown very tiresome to me and I want to become a boy, no matter how hard it is. You promise that, do you not?”
这番话打动了匹诺曹的心。他高兴地又抬起头来,对仙女说:
“Yes, I promise, and now it is up to you.”
“我要学习,我要干活,你对我怎么说我就怎么做,一句话,木偶的生活我过腻了,我无论如可要变成一个孩子。你答应我了,不是吗?”
狐狸和鹤的宴会的故事 有一天,狐狸送了一张邀请卡给鹤。 “晚上请来舍下用餐。” “哇!真罕见!狐狸先生会准备什么酒菜请我呢?” 鹤很高兴的前去狐狸的家。“呀!鹤...
阿飞是个驴友。这个假期,他把儿子留在家里上补习班,自己和朋友们一起来到原始森林探险。谁知,第一天傍晚,阿飞就迷路了。他在杂乱的灌木丛中摸索着前进,心里十分惊...
蛋蛋狼最爱吃鸡蛋,这不,这一天它在大树底下捡到了一颗圆溜溜的大鸡蛋,可把它给高兴坏啦! 找儿童故事听睡前故事,dy456.com儿童故事大全 蛋蛋狼捧着这颗鸡蛋...
一位在山中修行的禅师,有一天夜里,趁着皎洁的月光,他在林间的小路上散完步后回到自己住的茅屋时,正碰上个小偷光顾,他怕惊动小偷,一直站门口等候他…… 小偷找...
大胡子小矮人的胡子真大,天些冷的时候,可以用来当棉被。有一天,太阳把睡在空地上的大胡子小矮人唤醒。大胡子正要梳理他的胡子,忽然从他的胡子里飞出一只小鸟。小鸟飞上...
猎人和小姑娘是邻居,也就是说,猎枪和小熊也是邻居(小熊当然是小姑娘的玩具了)。 找儿童故事听睡前故事,dy456.com儿童故事大全 两邻居哪有不做好朋友的道理...
小雪花找朋友幼儿故事 寒冷的冬天,小雪花跳着舞,从天空中慢慢地往下飘。小雪花以前还是云朵里的小水珠的时候,就听天空妈妈说过,大地上有好多朋友:各种有趣的昆虫、轻...
麦克失业后,心情糟透了,去找牧师。牧师把他带进一个古旧的小屋,屋子里一张桌上放着一杯水。牧师微笑着说:“你看这只杯子,它已经放在这儿很久了,几乎每天都有灰尘落在...
孤单的老头和老太婆的故事 从前,在一所小房子里住着一个老头和一个老太婆,他们没有孩子也没有动物,老头惟一的朋友和伙伴是老太婆,老头是老太婆的一切。 一天下午,老...
宝宝早教一日一课:小狐狸抓丝带的故事 小狐狸、小鸟、小狗生活在一个弯弯曲曲的小河边。 有一天,三个小伙伴在河边相聚了。忽然,飘过来一条红丝带。小鸟说:“我们一起...
一天,小林问师父:“心有大小之分吗?”师父答:“没有。”又问:“那为什么说有的人心大,有的人心小呢?”师父说:“你想象一头大象在心中。”小林答:“想好了。”“你...
鸡妈妈孵了三只小鸡,一只只长得活蹦乱跳。三只小鸡中,有一只是小公鸡,另两只是小母鸡,一只叫小花,一只叫小胖。小公鸡凭着个儿高,跑得快,捉到小虫子从来不给妹妹吃,...
小猴子迪迪给妈妈治病的故事 小猴子迪迪最近心情糟透了,因为妈妈总是咳嗽不止, 走路 咳、睡觉也咳。看到妈妈痛苦的样子,他好心疼。 “我要找到给妈妈治病的方法。”...
阿嚏!阿嚏!豆豆感冒了,不停的打喷嚏,真难受! 找儿童故事听睡前故事,dy456.com儿童故事大全 阿嚏!阿嚏!毛毛,我们一起玩儿吧!豆豆对毛毛说。 毛毛却捂...
做个橡皮泥爸爸故事 有一只小老鼠,一直和爸爸妈妈生活在一起,没有分开过。 有一次,爸爸要去很远的地方出差,得一个星期后才回来。 “我会想你的,爸爸!”小老鼠吸了...
小故事小松鼠与小乌鸦 从前,有一只勤快的小松鼠,和一只好吃懒做的小乌鸦。它们俩是非常要好的朋友。 眼看,秋天马上就要离开,冬天就要到来了。寒风刺骨,风欺雪压。小...
夜,静谧极了。索菲亚躺在自己的小床上睡得正香。睡梦中,她仿佛听到自己身边传来一阵悠扬、悦耳的钢琴声。 找儿童故事听睡前故事,dy456.com儿童故事大全 索菲...
诚实守信是为人之本,是中华民族的传统美德。诚实是指忠诚老实,言行一致,表里如一;守信是指说话、办事讲信用,答应了别人的事,能认真履行诺言,说到做到,守信是诚实的...
企鹅皮皮很怕冷,他没有办法像其他企鹅一样,在寒冷的冰雪上玩耍。“这儿好冷啊!”皮皮说,“要是能去一个温暖一些的地方该多好啊!”有一天,皮皮在冰上发现了两只奇怪的...
蛤蟆借外套的故事 蛤蟆总是觉得自己长得太丑了。在所有动物面前,蛤蟆一点自信都没有。老是想着别人肯定议论他的长相,所以他很少和别人结伴玩耍。别的小动物有什么活动也...